Reflections of Aung San Suu Kyi Then and Now, The Concert for Burma, Jack Healey and the Study for the Mixed Media Painting in 1996

Study for the Concert for Burma - Mixed-Media Painting (Stage Back Drop/Poster)
Final Study by Peter G Pereira 1996

It was 1996, I met Jack Healey former head of Amnesty International US. I had heard of his work with U2, the Police and many others on the Conspiracy of Hope Tour merging the energy of music and Human Rights.
 I was drawn into the mix of  wonder passion and arts.

We began to work and collaborate over the next 3 years or so on several Projects including on a Concert FOr Burma at Wembley Stadium with a Regal Group of Rock and Rollers including Bono and U2, Green Day to name but a few in London in hopes to drawing attention to the plight of Burma.

I had finished work on the Musical Evolution F a year before in 1995 begun on the Evolution and Struggles of Women which I co-wrote with Laurie Fierstein and cast of multi-talented artist from the world of dance and music and theater..

I could identify with the plights of these others having come from a Family exiled from Haiti by the Brutal Dictatorship of Papa Doc Duvalier and later his Son Baby Doc (Reminding me of the Father and Baby-Faces Son Assads of Syria.)


I had also lived in Nigeria during the Genocide of of the early 1980's where hundreds of Thousands had died during the Green Revolution and Elections . I had barely made it out with my life but remember the untold numbers that did not.

More Personally I had in 1993 had my work of Painting 10 years work from my Soho Gallery ripped off by a business partner and my lawyer at the Time. Shady and Cruel dealings that had left me devastated.

The psychic and physical scars of tyranny were personal and I was hungry to heal.
Meeting Jack afforded me the projects and a mentor as had Laurie Fierstein. Although I spoke of none of my recent plights not wanting to involve in events guess I blamed myself for, they sensed something very wrong but never intruded, affording me great friendship and room to create.
Very grateful.

San Suu Kyi had won the Nobel Peace Prize a few years before and of course had begun what we hoped would be a House arrest that by our efforts would be shortened.

Little did we know that another 16 years would pass before her Freedom was to be secured.

Then is Now.

Well wishes from Peter

Aung San Suu Kyi and Jack Healey






Digital Painting/Portrait of Aung San Suu Kyi
Peter G Pereira 2012



Comments