My Day in the Life of SOHO starting with Dia's De Maria's Broken Kilometer...

I stopped by for a Coffee at Felix Restaurant on West Broadway and Grand. I remember the last time I was standing there facing the cavernous and sulfuric Black Hole that was the aftermath of 9/11.
I had stood there a few before and then...another 12 year to close this circle.
I went for a mini tour of the old neighborhood...dropping by as I might have in old days to visit  with Ivan Carp of OK Harris of Andy Warhol fame whom I knew from the 80's and share a Fine Cigar...I don't smoke anymore and Ivan passed this summer...memories were good...Dorski...Dia Arts...The Broken Kilometer there since 1979...I could understand it better now with its 500 gold and shiny cylinder 2 meter bars neatly rolled across the expanse of the Dia Gallery Space...a kilometer's worth of straight volumetric lines converging near some infinity but never really reaching that end...Wall.
A younger me might not have been impressed...as with my new Trees of Life Installations collapsed Volume Wraps and cylindrical paradoxical painting skins with nature as Volumetric palette...some understandings take evolution and time...and Fun.
The walk led to his other piece from 1977's Earth Project on Wooster...then Kay and I wandered down Greene towards Chinatown for Lunch and as the dark clouds parted for Sun I encountered people from the past in various guises and I snapped some photos in marvelous Light and easy Spirit...among them Zappa, Morrison, Yoko and Lennon, Mick Jagger and the Stones, Bowie...Haring...Taxi.. Pearl Paint...some wild Goldfish...

Comments