On 50 Years Anniversary of the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Band's- Part I of Peter's Various Tributes - Painted, Drawn and Quartered Pieces and Pictures of Mine Soul and Body that Come to Mind

From the Deep River Bed Butte Archives of 

Rock and Roll and the Blues 
Mixed-Media Painting - Pereira 1997



Reflections on a Favorite Rolling Stone's Song
...Haunting and Terrific

Waiting On A Friend 
(You Tube)



The Rolling Stones - Waiting On A Friend Lyrics

Watching girls go passing by
It ain't the latest thing
I'm just standing in a doorway
I'm just trying to make some sense
Out of these girls go passing by
The tales they tell of men


 Late - Soft Sting of Paradise Lost
Pen/Marker by Pereira 1984



Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest/B Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest/But I need someone I can cry to, I need someone to protect ut I need someone I can cry to, I need someone to protect.




Jessica's Pad and Theater Props - Pen/Ink by Pereira 1985
Waiting On A Friend - Revisited






... was first played as early as 1970, when Mick Taylor first joined the group and was recording with Mick Jagger in London. Recording on "Waiting on a Friend" began in late 1972 through early 1973 in Kingston, Jamaica


during the Goats Head Soup sessions 

Character Studies for a Bacchanalia 
Pen/Ink Pereira - 1982

Janovitz, Bill. The Rolling Stones "Waiting on a Friend"allmusic. 2007 (accessed 19 May 2007).
The lyrics see a more mature side of singer Jagger represented. He speaks of setting aside women and vices in favor of making some sense of his life and finding the virtues inherent in true friendship:


Singer - Sight Unseen,
Pen & Ink Pereira 2011






The song is noted for its dreamy qualities brought on by the soft guitars, smooth rhythm, and Jagger's lilting refrain of "doo-doo-doo"'s. The song contains a guitar intro with one bar in 7/4 at the very beginning, staying in 4/4 for the rest of the song.



Friend Guitar
Pen/Pencil Pereira -1988




 Stones-recording veteran Nicky Hopkins performs the track's running piano.[1] The Stones hired jazz saxophonist Sonny Rollins to perform the solo on this song, as well as two others on the album.

 On his addition to the track, Jagger said in 1985:
"I had a lot of trepidation about working with Sonny Rollins. This guy's a giant of the saxophone. Charlie said, 'He's never going to want to play on a Rolling Stones record!' I said, 'Yes he is going to want to.' And he did and he was wonderful. I said, 'Would you like me to stay out there in the studio?' He said, 'Yeah, you tell me where you want me to play and DANCE the part out.' So I did that. And that's very important: communication in hand, dance, whatever. You don't have to do a whole ballet, but sometimes that movement of the shoulder tells the guy to kick in on the beat."


Dancer - Harlem Suite
Pen & Ink Pereira 2011




(Delta) Blues Brothers in the Garden of Desires
Oil On Canvas 36" x 24" by Pereira 2003

the song was perceived by some as the band's return to their (Delta) Blues roots after the Psychodelia of their preceding albums Between the Buttons and their Satanic Majesties Request.



Bacchanalia - Host and Guests
Pun/Brush  byPereira 1981


 One of the group's most popular and recognisable songs, it has been featured in many films and on the Rolling Stones compilation albums Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2)Hot RocksSingles Collection andForty Licks.



Exile's Dream Journey of Home
Pen & Ink - Pereira 1981

I'm not waiting on a lady
I'm just waiting on a friend

A smile relieves a heart that grieves
Remember what I said
I'm not waiting on a lady
I'm just waiting on a friend
I'm just waiting on a friend


A Note of Thanks to Mick and The Band

...Many More


Comments